You can be a Rockstar developer
Anyone can be a "Rockstar" developer, but there's only one way to do it. Find out how.
Anyone can be a "Rockstar" developer, but there's only one way to do it.
You have to stop being content with a surface level understanding of the technologies you work with. It takes a desire to learn and the hard work to perservere.
Most developers allow Google and StackOverflow to do the thinking for them. A quick search for an exception and the configuration / code block appears to magically solve their problem. I've certainly done it plenty of times. You just need a quick fix so you can move onto more important things.
- Read the manual (RTM)
- Read books from the experts
- Dig into the source code
- Make changes to the source
- Submit PRs
- Write about it
- Speak about it
You'll be amazed at what happens:
- You write less code to solve the same problems
- Your development velocity goes way up
- Fewer defects in your code and solving them becomes easier
- Your team members start coming to you for answers
- You get assigned the "interesting" tasks and projects
- Other technologies start to make more sense
- You realize your value just went up $$$
Most developers are content with a surface level understanding. Don't be. Your future self will thank you.
Want to know more? Leave it in the comments.